Respect for working men and women is the driving force behind Mr. Johnson’s commitment to worker’s compensation law. It is a respect that runs deep. One of Mr. Johnson’s grandfathers was a Kentucky coal miner; the other, a member of the United Rubber Workers. Because both his grandfathers worked extremely hard in less-than-ideal environments, Mr. Johnson has great empathy for those who get hurt on the job.
Over the years, Mr. Johnson has recovered millions of dollars for people suffering from a variety of work-related injuries. He prides himself on thoroughly preparing for each case and staying in close, personal contact with clients. Mr. Johnson travels statewide to represent his clients. He has argued cases at all 17 workers’ compensation sites throughout the state of Illinois. He has also argued cases in many Circuit Courts in the Illinois Appellate Court.
Because he is bilingual, Mr. Johnson works with a number of Spanish-speaking clients, many of whom are unfamiliar with the workers’ compensation system and are greatly relieved to discuss their legal dilemma in their own language. All clients find reassurance in Mr. Johnson’s understanding, professional demeanor and his willingness to take even tough cases to trial.
Mr. Johnson’s proudest moment as an attorney came when he helped a 23-year-old mentally disabled man beat the Social Security Administration. The federal government believed it had overpaid the young man by thousands of dollars and was trying to get it back. But this man had no source of income and his father was battling cancer. Mr. Johnson argued the family had complied with all Social Security requirements and convinced the judge that it would be wrong to penalize the family for the government’s error.
Mr. Johnson graduated in the top 15 percent of his class from the John Marshall School of Law, where he was a member of Law Review and served as a staff editor. He earned his undergraduate degrees in political science and Spanish at the University of Kentucky.
When he is not working, Mr. Johnson enjoys spending time outdoors with his family. He is a NASCAR, hockey, and University of Kentucky basketball fan. On weekends, he cheers on his son in his Sabres Youth Hockey games and helps his daughter with her Girl Scout activities. He anchors his bowling team. Mr. Johnson is a member of Wheatland Salem United Methodist Church and helps support the Hunt Club Elementary School Parent Organization.
Areas of Practice
- Workers Compensation Law
- Social Security Law
- Personal Injury – Plaintiff
- Illinois, 1998
- John Marshall Law School
- Law Review: Law Review, Staff Editor
- University of Kentucky
- Political Science & Spanish (with honors)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Kane County Bar Association, 2007 – Present
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association, 2009 – Present
- DuPage County Bar Association, 2010 – Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2013 – Present
- Presenter, What is a Work-Related Accident? Illinois Education Association
- Presenter, Repetitive Trauma Injuries, United Food & Commercial Workers
- Presenter, Your Right to Benefits Under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, Service Employees International Union
- Presenter, Work-Related Injuries, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Presenter, Immigrant’s Rights Under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, The Mexican Consulate
- Presenter, Work-Related Injuries, Garment and Leather Workers
- Presenter, How Changes in Workers’ Compensation Law Affect Your Member, Illinois Valley Building Trades
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
- Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Language Honorary Society)
Languages – Spanish
“I was referred to Woodruff Johnson & Palermo by a friend who had used them in the past. Everyone I had contact with was so kind and polite. My lawyer, Jay Johnson, explained the process to me so that I understood what was happening with my case. He was very patient, keeping me informed and answering my questions. I was very satisfied with the results and would recommend my family and friends that need legal help to go to Woodruff Johnson & Palermo.” – Jerlyin/ Worker’s compensation client