The grandson of a Chicago union worker, Dexter Evans has always felt a strong urge to help those trying to protect their rights. It is from this foundation that Dexter established himself as an aggressive advocate for the rights of his clients.
“The greatest satisfaction in my profession is the gratitude of my clients,” says Dexter. “There is no better feeling than to get a hug from a client who is in tears because they finally received the justice they deserve. The thank you letters from my clients enjoy a special place in my office as a reminder of what our profession is all about.”
Dexter devotes 100% of his practice to personal injury and litigation and has tried several cases to jury verdict in counties all over Illinois. He has also written and presented numerous arguments in front of the Appellate Court, including a recent case in which he was successful in overturning a trial court’s decision to dismiss a case involving a slip and fall on ice. As an accomplished writer, Dexter has written a variety of articles and blogs for publications such as the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Illinois State Bar Journal, DuPage County Bar Journal, and Fox Valley Labor News, amongst others.
Dexter has obtained several recent noteworthy case results, including:
- $600,000.00 settlement in DuPage County on behalf of a client who suffered a fractured leg when she was hit by a shuttle bus while walking her dog outside of her condo.
- $595,000 settlement resulting from mediation in which client developed the onset of fibromyalgia following a car accident. This was the largest reported verdict in Illinois for a fibromyalgia case outside of Cook County.
- $450,000 settlement on behalf of a client who was involved in a head-on car accident while test-driving a police car he repaired for a municipality.
- $375,000 settlement on behalf of a truck driver who sustained severe laceration of his ring finger when loading dock door was inadvertently dropped onto his finger by loading dock worker.
- $300,000 policy limits settlement on behalf of a client injured when she fell down the basement stairs of a friend’s house. There was no handrail on basement stairs which violated the applicable building code.
- $225,000 settlement for a man who was at a friend’s house and fell through an access door that was unsecured and covered by mulch. Client suffered a torn rotator cuff which required surgery.
- $215,000 judgment on behalf of a worker who sustained repetitive lifting injury to her shoulder. While recovering from surgery on that shoulder, the worker developed the same condition in her opposite shoulder necessitating surgery. Pre-trial offer was $32,568.69.
Dexter’s ability to obtain outstanding results for his clients stems from the fact that he looks at his clients as individuals who have families and need someone to help them protect their legal rights.
“It all starts with treating a client’s case like it is my own,” he says. “If it was my case, would I want my lawyer to explain the legal process to me since I am new to it? Would I want my lawyer to return my calls and answer my questions so I am not left in the dark? Of course!”
When he is not taking on multi-billion dollar insurance companies, Dexter enjoys spending time with his wife and their three pups. He also enjoys playing basketball, writing, and reading books on such topics as history, politics, and philosophy.
Contact Woodruff Johnson & Evans Law Offices at (866) 400-4450 to discuss your case with a personal injury attorney in Chicago today. We offer free initial consultations at our various office locations.
Northern Illinois University College of Law: J.D.,
magna cum laude, 2005
- Honors: Dean’s List, 2002 – 2005; Law Review: Northern Illinois University Law Review, Lead Articles Editor, 2003 – 2005
- Elmhurst College: B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, 2001
Classes & Seminars
- DuPage Trial Advocacy Class, Teacher
- Work Injuries and Third Party Claims, Municipal Department Committee, Presenter
- Changes to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, Painter’s Union Local 448, Presenter
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list, 2016 – 2018
- Leading Lawyers, "Emerging Lawyer", 2016 – 2018
Professional Associations & Memberships
- DuPage County Bar Association, 2007 – present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2009 – present
- Kane County Bar Association, 2010 – present
- Will County Bar Association, 2013 – present
- West Suburban Bar Association, 2015 – present
"I had an awesome experience with Dexter Evans!"
- Jenn V.
"I was recently injured in an auto accident and Dexter Evans handled my case. He is the best. Awesome experience. Definitely would recommend to anyone!"
"They always keep in touch & are quick to respond."
"I want to thank attorney Jon Walker for all his work on my worker's comp case. He explains everything in detail to you so you understand. Always kept in touch, you didn't have ..."
"I will definitely recommend them!"
"I was injured in an auto accident and Dexter Evans handled my case. He was awesome. I will definitely recommend them to friends and family."
"I was very happy with the outcome of my case!"
"A friend referred me to Woodruff Johnson & Evans. Attorney Jay Johnson explained the process so that I understood what was going on with my case. He was responsive to my ..."
"I was very satisfied with the results!"
"I was referred to Woodruff Johnson & Evans by a friend who had used them in the past. Everyone I had contact with was so kind and polite. My lawyer, Jay Johnson, explained the ..."
"Woodruff Johnson & Evans helped settled my case when the insurance company refused to pay my medical bill!"
"I consulted the lawyers from Woodruff Johnson & Evans and they settled my case when the insurance company refused to pay my medical bill! I think I will recommend people to ..."
"Dexter Evans was incredible at handling my auto-accident case & provided constant communication about any questions or concerns I had!"
- Hunter C.
"Dexter (DJ) Evans was incredible at handling my auto-accident case and provided constant communication about any questions or concerns I had. He addressed every concern I had ..."
"Steven was helpful in preparing me for a deposition and was very instrumental in gathering details about the location of my slip and fall!"
- Sandra W.
"Steven was helpful in preparing me for a deposition and was very instrumental in gathering details about the location of my slip and fall. He negotiated what I thought was a ..."
"I would definitely hire them again!"
"I hired Jon Walker from this firm and it was the best thing I could have done for my disability case. It can be a long, complicated process, but Jon took care of everything. ..."
"I was happy with the outcome of my case!!"
"I was referred to Woodruff Johnson and Evans by a coworker after I was injured on the job. My lawyer, Russ Haugen, walked me through the process and was very informative about ..."