Steven M. Sandler has worked as a civil litigation trial attorney for the last 35 years. “In the courtroom, there is no substitute for experience,” says Steve. What a fulfilling experience it has been.
Steve has spent the majority of his career representing the victims of catastrophic injury. While doing so, he obtained several multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for his clients. For the ten years prior to joining Woodruff Johnson & Evans, Steve defended individuals and corporate entities faced with lawsuits arising out of airplane, trucking, and auto accidents. This unique perspective from both sides of a lawsuit makes him an astute advocate on behalf of the seriously injured.
Steve has been selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyer® list for civil litigation for the past six years. He is also AV Rated® by Martindale-Hubbell® (the highest attorney rating issued) and has been honored for outstanding client service. Steve is an airplane pilot and an adjunct professor at DePaul College of Law.
At Woodruff Johnson & Evans, Steve diligently represents the victims of transportation accidents, defective products, and medical malpractice.
Contact Woodruff Johnson & Evans if you need a personal injury attorney in Chicago. Call us at (866) 400-4450 or fill out an online contact form to request your free consultation.
Education & Certifications
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- IIT- Chicago Kent College of Law: J.D. with Honors
- University of Illinois: B.A. in Political Science
Classes & Seminars
- DePaul University College of Law, Adjunct Professor
- Aviation Product Liability, Chicago, Illinois
- John Marshall Law School, Guest Lecturer
- Aviation Law, Chicago, Illinois
- I.I.T. Chicago Kent College of Law, Lecturer
- Exclusiveness of Workers’ Compensation Remedies, Presenter
- Products Liability – 10th Annual McGill Conference on International Aviation Liability and Insurance, Montreal, Canada, Presenter
- American Bar Association National Institute on Aviation Litigations, Faculty, Presenter
- Chicago Bar Association – Aviation Law Committee
- EAA AirVenture Oshkosh – Aviation Accident Litigation
- Midwest Aviation Conference and Trade Show, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri, Presenter
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Rated® by Martindale-Hubble®
- Client Distinction Award, 2013
- Million Dollar Advocate Award, 2017
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers® list, 2013 – 2018
- Top-Rated Civil Litigation Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Leading Lawyers, 2017 -2018
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association – Panel Attorney Legal Services Plan
- Chicago Bar Association, 2004 – Present
- Aviation Law Committee: Chairperson, 2005 – 2006
- Aviation Law Committee: Vice-Chairperson, 2004 – 2005, 2011 – 2012
- Aviation Law Committee: Legislative Liaison, 2006 – 2007
- Illinois Defense Research Institute
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- International Air & Transportation Safety Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
Membership in the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum® is limited to trial attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts on behalf of their clients. We are proud to have several attorneys who are among the less than 1% of attorneys in the United States selected for membership.
Several of our attorneys have earned an AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®. This is the highest possible peer-review rating offered by the renowned organization. Attorneys are selected by their peers and clients based on a number of categories.
The annual Super Lawyers® list, published in Super Lawyers® Magazine, highlights attorneys who have made considerable professional achievements. We are proud to have several attorneys who have been selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers® list multiple times.
We are proud members of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, an organization that is committed to fighting for the rights of injured workers throughout the state of Illinois. As ITLA members, we are dedicated to pursuing justice on behalf of hard-working individuals and their families.
Casey Woodruff, Jay Johnson and Dexter Evans were all members of Illinois’ Leading Lawyers every year from 2015 to 2017. Eligibility for membership is based on a rigorous peer nomination process—attorneys must be nominated by their fellow attorneys to become Leading Lawyers members.
"I had an awesome experience with Dexter Evans!"
- Jenn V.
"I was recently injured in an auto accident and Dexter Evans handled my case. He is the best. Awesome experience. Definitely would recommend to anyone!"
"They always keep in touch & are quick to respond."
"I want to thank attorney Jon Walker for all his work on my worker's comp case. He explains everything in detail to you so you understand. Always kept in touch, you didn't have ..."
"I will definitely recommend them!"
"I was injured in an auto accident and Dexter Evans handled my case. He was awesome. I will definitely recommend them to friends and family."
"I was very happy with the outcome of my case!"
"A friend referred me to Woodruff Johnson & Evans. Attorney Jay Johnson explained the process so that I understood what was going on with my case. He was responsive to my ..."
"I was very satisfied with the results!"
"I was referred to Woodruff Johnson & Evans by a friend who had used them in the past. Everyone I had contact with was so kind and polite. My lawyer, Jay Johnson, explained the ..."